Thursday, April 20, 2006

Openness


From The Dreaming.

This is a question from a visitor, Stefano Di Lollo, that is worth sharing.

Dear HoC, I've been following your blog for quite some time now. From what I can see from your website, it looks like you have a great team of talent, and a great work environment to inspire creativity. Your list of clients and portfolio is impressive. I've read about the hard times that your studio is experiencing at the moment on your blog. Now, I know you have plenty on your mind right now, and the last thing you probably need or have time to read is someone giving you their 2 cents. But, since I can't ever keep my opinion to myself---I'll type the rest anyways. >>> I was just wondering the following: Is it a good idea to publicly report your studio's current problems on your blog? Clients (existing ones and potential ones) have easy access to this info, and may get scared off by the studio's instability. Just some food for thought. Good luck, I wish you guys all the best. I'd love to work with a team such as yours.


And my answer. Hi Stefano,

I'm glad that you like our work. We try hard to define ourselves in an industry full of mediocrity.

Your question is a very good one and I have put much thought into it. A similar question that I often get asked is 'am I not afraid of people stealing your development ideas'? My answer to these questions may be irrational but it is a the core of how I run my studio. We are always willing to let our pants down. We feel that the transparency of our studio endears people to want to work with us as clients and employees. Sometimes that openness is positive and sometime negative but what is important is that the creative spirit does not flourish well under secrecy. This may be the downfall of HoC but if I want the studio to reflect my values instead of being a money making entity It has to be this way.

-Ricardo

5 comments:

Jeff Young-Sterling said...

Wow, I cant get enough ot the stuff you guys do. Man Robin, It was nice to finally meet you. The stuff you brought to seneca really got me looking at other artists who I probably would overlook. I cant wait to see what House Of Cool does next.

Jeff Young-Sterling

tomm said...

hi there,

we have experienced a lot of what you've been describing - all I can say is we also have always had an honest and upfront attitude too, even though we've wondered "are we too honest" sometimes, it seems to have attracted the right people again and again. We work with the same artists over and over even if we can't have them on permanent cpntracts they keep coming back and I hope its because of the honest attitude we take.
Sharing info and showing our work nhas kept us "in the game" thru' many hard times.

Its a tough to place the hard critera of "viable business" on an artistic endeavour sometimes, but its always worth it as long as you are still passionate and able to enjoy it.
More power to you.

Good luck ,

T

Anonymous said...

I believe you get back what you put out positive or negative. You can't ignore the artistic forces going on in your house!

Chris Battle said...

Beautiful image! Please consider selling a small color sketchbook of these paintings to help finance things. (If only just to make ME happy!) It might only finance the 3:00 Coffee Bean break, tho...

Jannie aka Chickengirl said...

Appreciating your honesty. I think you will attract clients that appreciate that as well. You guys are talented! Best of luck.