Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Hiring Practices

Kate's layout for Road to El Dorado.

At HoC I don't hire only based on talent. I want people who believe in the company as much as they love doing the work. Of course there is a certain level of talent required to work here, but I also want artists who have personalities which are compatible with me and the other artists at the studio. It only takes one bad artist to sour the pot. In general I prefer young talent because they are not yet jaded by the animation industry. I like the fresh ideas they bring to the studio. In return (other than a pay cheque) I try to provide the artist the best working conditions in the industry. I want my people to look forward to working every day as well as feel that their efforts are building something greater than just a business venture. So far my hiring practices have worked. As the studio grows I hope to continue using this technique to build apon the team that I have.

11 comments:

J said...

Music to my ears Ricardo.
Music to my ears.

El leo said...

aaaaaaaahhhh
i was (i dont know how to say it in english) babeando (like dropping saliva with your wide open mouth) having fun with your bears and roboyos and wondering how can i, a third world designer/illustrator, work, some day, in the close future, with people like you.
i didnt know where to leave my comment, and i found this post.
like you were thinkin' of me when you written it.

no kidding, it would be possible that a guy like me, some day, could work with you?
i know there is a lot of talent upthere in canada, but, but...

i think maybe it's a too good self-image, matter of egos or anything you want, but, but... i think i can i think i can i think i can.
ok. stop it, leo, you're getting annoying. invite'em to your blog and shut up...

El leo said...

i'm serious, i want to work with you, where can i start? i'm sure tonz of people wants too. but, i'm sure that no one else from venezuela, or at least no one else from mérida, a little town in los andes

thecombustibleyeti said...

Would you ever have like a open house tour? or maybe consider a apprenticeship program?

Bicos de pés said...

Wow! i love the film. These BG drawing is awesome. Congratulations.

Carlos Fernandes said...

Your studio really rocks....:-)
Seems to be well organized...not a common situation in the animation business...
I've been involved in several projects. If you care to take a peek...

This one it's wrapped up
http://www.turno-da-noite.blogspot.com/

This one it's still waiting a "go!"
http://guerradospalhacos.blogspot.com/

best of luck

Alexandra Boiger Illustration said...

Thank you Kate!

Alexandra

Marv said...

Very cool.

Minini said...

I must say, you're stuff is like a constant massage for the eyes. The candy of animation. You're inspiring! In resume, I'll be stalking your blog a little bit, I'm sorry :)

Have a nice day! ^^

unbemerkt said...

very nice, how you are planning your work. i'm sure it does work very good!
great ideas!

Cory Wilson said...

Me want new entry.